How to initialize the DataLocker on Windows 7
Note: This procedure is to initialize the DataLocker if you Regerated the Encryption Key or if the Self Destruct executed and erased the drive.
- Right-click on the Computer icon on the desktop or in the Start Menu.
- Left-click on Manage.
- Left-click on Disk Management.
- Usually, the Initialize Disk Wizard will appear automatically when you open Disk Management. If you have more than one blank drive that needs to be initialized it will list them. Make sure that there is a check in the box of the drive that needs to be initialized and then left-click on the Ok button. If the wizard does show up, go to step 5. If the wizard does not show up, please see the note and additional images directly below.
- When you find it. Right-click on the red arrow and choose Initialize Disk.
- The drive is now initialized. The disk should have a black bar and say that it is Unallocated. You should now be able to create a partition and format the hard drive.
Important: For the best compatibility between computers we recommend using the MBR (Master Boot Record) option and not the GPT(GUID Partition Table).
Note: If you do not see the Initialize Disk wizard. Then you will need to start the initialization on your own. The drive that needs to be initialized should have a little circle with a red arrow pointing down like in the image below.